Join a Powerful Network of Community-Driven Women
Supporting ReadNYC’s Books from Birth and
Once Upon a Summer / School Year Programs
Books from Birth is an initiative of ReadNYC that ensures low-income children have culturally relevant and age appropriate books—the essential tools they need to achieve academically. Dolly Parton's Foundation is the mechanism through which children receive Imagination Library books for Books from Birth. Registered children receive one book a month for a year.
Why it Matters:
- 70% of low-income families don’t have books at home for their children.
- Owning 25 books or more has a sizeable impact on student achievement.
- UWNYC is the only partner with Dolly Parton's Imagination Library in New York City.
- Children in poor communities live in "book deserts," communities in which there is limited to no access to children’s books.
- $100: Provides 1 book a month per year for 2 children.
- $250: Provides 1 book a month per year for 5 children.
- $500: Provides 10 NYC low-income students with books every month for one-year to build their home library.
- $1,000: Provides 20 NYC low-income students with books every month for one-year to build their home library.
- $2,500: Empowers a ReadNYC teacher with over 500 books to outfit their classroom library.
- $5,000: Sends 1,200 books to a ReadNYC school to outfit the entire school library.
- $10,000: Provides 2,500 books to build a ReadNYC Community Library in "book deserts," where there is, on average, only one book for every 800 children.
Once Upon a Summer/School Year is an element of ReadNYC that provides students in low-income neighborhoods access to extra childhood educational supports as well as summer literacy programming to prevent summer slide.
Why it Matters:
- Once Upon a Summer/School Year ensures that students receive 1 on 1 tutoring and hours of expanded learning time that adds up to an equivalent two months of additional school.
- Students who participate in summer learning and extended day programs show greater improvement in ELA proficiency rates.
Your purchase is not final until you see the following confirmation page. Donations made to United Way of New York City are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Please consult our Gift Acceptance Policy for information about our policies and guidelines.