Join a Powerful Network of Community-Driven Women
Supporting ReadNYC’s Books from Birth and
Once Upon a Summer / School Year Programs
When you join Women United with a minimum annual gift of $1,000 or if you make a general contribution to the Women United Fund, you'll be directly impacting our ReadNYC Books from Birth and Once Upon a Summer/School Year initiatives.
Books from Birth is a critical initiative of ReadNYC that ensures low income children have culturally relevant and age appropriate books—the essential and basic tools they need in order to achieve academically.
Why it Matters:
- 70% of low-income families don’t have books at home for their children.
- Studies have shown that owning 25 books or more has a sizeable effect on student achievement.
- UWNYC is the only partner with Dolly Parton's Imagination Library in New York City.
- Children in poor communities live in "book deserts," communities in which there is limited to no access to children’s books.
- $50: Provides 1 book a month per year for 1 child.
- $100: Provides 1 book a month per year for 2 children.
- $250: Provides 1 book a month per year for 5 children.
- $500: Provides 10 NYC low-income students with books every month for one-year to build their home library.
- $1,000: Provides 20 NYC low-income students with books every month for one-year to build their home library.
- $2,500: Empowers a ReadNYC teacher with over 500 books to outfit their classroom library.
- $5,000: Sends 1,200 books to a ReadNYC school to outfit the entire school library.
- $10,000: Provides 2,500 books to build a ReadNYC Community Library in "book deserts," where there is, on average, only one book for every 800 children.
Once Upon a Summer/School Year is an element of ReadNYC that provides students in low-income neighborhoods access to early childhood educational supports as well as summer literacy programming to prevent summer slide.
Why it Matters:
- ReadNYC ensures that students receive 1 on 1 tutoring and hours of expanded learning time that adds up to an equivalent 2 months of additional school.
- Data shows that students who participated in summer learning and extended day programs showed greater improvement in ELA proficiency rates.
- A minimum contribution of $2,000 provides academic enrichment to 1 student that adds the equivalent of one to two months of school instruction through an extended learning day during the full school year, including a six-week summer learning program.
- Every incremental $2,000 supports an additional student as part of the Once Upon a Summer/School Year Program.
Your purchase is not final until you see the following confirmation page. Donations made to United Way of New York City are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Please consult our Gift Acceptance Policy for information about our policies and guidelines.